Monday, February 26, 2007

Fitch looking to make his case at UFC 68


By Victor Perea

UFC contender Jon Fitch (17-2) is widely regarded as one of the top ten fighters in the welterweight division, and has been on a quest to earn a shot at the title. Having won all four of his bouts inside the Octagon, Fitch knows that goal is within reach.

“I fight for a living, I love to train and when you train so hard it pays off when you fight,” says Fitch, who is scheduled to tackle Luigi Fioravanti (11-1) this Saturday at UFC 68.

“That’s when you get to take it all out and put all that hard work to use. I know there isn’t anybody that trains as hard as I do.”

Fitch has only two defeats, one that came in his pro debut, the other in his third professional contest. Both were against formidable opponents.

The Purdue University graduate with a Bachelor's degree in physical education and a minor in history will be welcoming Fioravanti as he drops from the UFC’s middleweight division down to the welterweight ranks.

“Fioravanti has good footwork,” says Fitch. “He’s a good boxer and I expect to see him in great shape and be sharper at this weight.

“I know he’s a good fighter and he’s coming into this fight to beat me just like everybody I’ve ever fought before, but I’m prepared to win this fight.”

Fitch, who, a few short years ago dropped everything and moved across country away from family and friends for a chance to step up his training and focus on his fighting career, will once again look to emerge victorious from the Octagon, and one step closer to a shot at the title.

“This is has been a long hard journey and I’m willing to fight anybody—and the UFC knows that.

“I left everything behind and drove out to California with my dog and my car full of my things to focus on my career. I know I have the heart and work ethic to make it in the UFC and I’ve proven that.

“Next up is Luigi, and he’s going to be a good opponent. I know I’ve worked hard enough to give me what I need to win on Saturday."

(Source)

No comments: