Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Matt Hughes Report



First off, last week I had the pleasure of training with a group of Navy SEALS. They were with Naval Special Warfare Development Group Squadron Four. I had a lot of fun training with them and it was a different experience working with trained killers instead of just trained fighters. My only stipulation was that they had to check their guns and knives at the door.

On a different note, I was talking to one of the members of the Forums during some of my down time. He is a Christian who is really struggling with immorality. He is praying for God's healing, to give him a pure mind, and has become impatient and doesn't feel he is hearing from God.

This is something that I can relate to. When I first got married, I prayed and prayed not to have desires for other women. At the same time I worked on keeping my mind "clean." After about a year and a half, that came true. I still pray for God to keep me strong, but as a guy that will always be a weakness. The thing about God is, He might move at a slower pace than what we'd like, but He always gets were He wants to go.

I can definitely relate to the impatience part of that, as well. When I have someone do something for me, I always say "and I want this done yesterday."

But think about it this way, if a guy is 40 lbs. overweight, how many trips to the gym will it take for him to lose that weight and be healthy? As you know it takes more than one or two. He needs to eat right and let his body rest. So if I want to be a better person by keeping impure thoughts out of my head I would need to:

1. Pray
2. Condition my body to do the right thing.

Back when I wanted to stop cursing, after I said something I shouldn't, I would stop and say a prayer of forgiveness. It didn't take long for me to stop saying those bad words.

It all takes time. So how long will this guy have to wait to lose this weight? I would say months or even years. It just depends on how much he puts into it.

I really hope that this is helpful to someone out there who might be struggling with a similar problem.

Finally, tomorrow I leave for Ohio and I want to thank everyone for their support. My next blog entry will be post-fight.

-Matt

No comments: