Sunday, February 11, 2007

Mosley: I was faster than him!


By Jason "J-Gon" Gonzalez

"I was faster than him," said Sugar Shane Mosley after winning the WBC interim welterweight title with a one-sided unanimous decision over Luis Collazo on Saturday night in Las Vegas. "I knew I could hurt him with quick jabs. It feels good to be a welterweight again. I felt light on my feet. I want to keep myself in shape and maybe fight again in June. I'm going to keep myself tuned up." As for the knockdown in round eleven, Mosley commented "It wasn't a hard shot. I didn't catch him flush. It had to do with him being off balance and he fell down. I knew he wasn't hurt, but the ref ruled it a knockdown." The always gracious Mosley also praised Collazo saying, "He's a warrior. He's a tough fighter and I know he'll be back."

Collazo said, "I hurt my left hand in the third round and I wasn't able to fight the way I wanted to. I hurt it in training. I wish I could have been more effective. I did the best I could do. Shane came to fight. He did his job tonight." After the fight, Collazo headed to the hospital to get stitches on his left eyelid and to have his hand x-rayed.

In other news, promoter Bernard Hopkins revealed that he signed his part of the deal today to fight Winky Wright on July 21.

No comments: