Friday, February 2, 2007

Newton Ready for Lindland



Carlos Newton made his return to the world of MMA last September as the coach of the Toronto Dragons in the IFL. After a two-year absence from fighting, Newton stepped back into the ring at the K-1 Hero's event last October, defeating Tokimitsu Ishizawa in just 22 seconds by TKO.

Newton closed out 2006 in a rematch with fellow IFL coach Renzo Gracie, losing a controversial split decision at the IFL's World Team Championship Finals on December 29th. "As soon as they said split decision, I was like, 'Oh boy.'" Newton continues, "We still have a lot of progress to be made in this industry as far as the judging goes."

This was one of a few close decisions in Newton's career that he found himself on the short end of, including split decision losses to Dan Henderson at UFC 17 and Daiju Takase at Pride: Bushido 3. "For me, that type of disappointment is nothing new, you know I have a lot of blemishes on my record, so in time it's something I learned to take in stride and take it as it comes. I continuously fight the best guys in the world and I think everyone respects that," said the 13-12 Newton.

(Read More)

No comments: