Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Sean Sutherland Interview


By Zviggy

Sean Sutherland is an up and comer from Jamie Ballards gym in Newcastle, NSW. Infinitemma (with thanks to Bon), caught up Sean in preparation for his upcoming bout against Jon Leven on Warriors Realm 8.

So, how has everything been?

Everything has been excellent. I have been training very hard, I know I have never been fitter than I am right now. I feel that my preparation for this fight has been just perfect.

Can you tell us some background information about you?

I always have been interested in Martial Arts. I practiced Karate from my early 20’s.

How did you get involved in MMA and do you remember the first MMA fight/event you ever watched?

I saw an Ad in a Newcastle University flyer and one thing lead to another.

The very first MMA event I watched was Tank Abbott’s debut in the UFC, I was shocked and impressed at the same time. I remember thinking nobody would be able to stand with this guy, and then Vitor Belfort came along.

How does it feel to be making your debut in the Warriors Realm cage?

I am very excited and grateful for the opportunity to fight for Warriors Realm.

How is training going in preparation for the bout?

Training for this fight has been perfect. I feel that I have the best possible people around me guiding me and nurturing me.

I believe this will be your first appearance in the cage, have you changed the way you prepare for a fight?

Yes, we have adjusted our training for the cage and have been using a makeshift cage fence.

Your opponent is Jon Leven who has fought in the Warriors Realm cage a few times. Have you watched his fights to prepare for this bout and if so, what did you think?

I have seen a very small amount of footage of Jon’s fights. In truth only a few seconds where he is throwing a lot of punches. I respect him as a fellow fighter but I remain unafraid.

Jon is known as more of a striker than a grappler. You train with one of the leading grapplers in the country, Jamie Ballard. Do you think this will be a classic striker vs. grappler match up?

Yes, I do.

Is there anything you would like to say to Jon before you two meet?

Only that win lose or draw I look forward to having a drink with him after the fight.

Your team mate Justin Murray recently won an XFC title by defeating Brandon Bell and your trainer Jamie Ballard won the abu dhabi trials. Who are some of the other up and coming fighters we should keep an eye out for?

Andrew 'Tonka' Smith who happens to be fighting on the same card will definitely be one to watch for. He will go far in this sport.

UFC pay per view recently made a return to Australian audiences. Just wondering if you checked out both shows and what you thought of them?

I haven’t actually seen the shows but I know the results.

In UFC 67, Travis Lutter didn't make weight and was docked 10% of his pay. 5% of that went to his opponent and the other 5% to the state athletic commission. Do you think being docked 5% or 10% pay for not making weight should be introduced in Australian MMA and that payment goes straight to the opponent? If not, how do you think promoters in Australia should deal with fighters who don’t make weight?

I believe there is no excuse if you don’t make weight. You know you have a couple of months to prepare and reach the weight, so if you don’t make it maybe your priorities aren’t in the right order. As far as penalties go, we all get what we deserve. Choose the behaviour, choose the consequences.

Are there any international MMA fighters that you look up to and enjoy watching compete?

There are far too many to mention but at the top of the list would be Fedor, Joachim Hansen, Shogun and Wanderlei.

What do you like to do outside of training, gym and MMA?

Outside of training I enjoy writing and reading, mainly on the topic of human nature.

All the best in your upcoming fight. In closing, is there anything else you want to mention or people/sponsors you want to thank?

I would like to thank every single member of our club and of course, first and foremost Jamie Ballard and Mark Blundell.

(Source)

No comments: