Thursday, March 8, 2007

UFC 69: SHOOTOUT



For the first time in its fourteen-year history, the Ultimate Fighting Championship® organization will bring the most exciting live combat sports event in the world - the UFC® - to the State of Texas. Look out for a showdown when reigning UFC World Welterweight Champion, Georges "Rush" St-Pierre steps up to attempt his first title defense when he faces The Ultimate Fighter® 4 "The Comeback" winner, Matt "The Terror" Serra in a heated battle for the welterweight crown.



St-Pierre (13-1) aggressively fought to win the UFC Welterweight title, defeating former champion, BJ Penn, Jason "Mayhem" Miller, Frank Trigg and Sean Sherk and most recently, the legendary Matt Hughes. He has no plans to give up his newly earned title when he takes on Long Islander, Matt Serra.

"I never under estimate my opponent," said St-Pierre. "Matt Serra is probably one of the best jiu-jitsu players in the UFC, so I've been training real hard for this fight. I'm the champ and my belt is not going anywhere."

Serra carries a 15-4 record including victories over the highly-touted Yves Edwards and Ivan Menjivar. He reached The Ultimate Fighter 4 semi-finals by defeating Pete Spratt via tapout due to strikes, and then avenged his previous loss to Shonie Carter by defeating him with a series of takedowns and scoring a unanimous decision with the judges. He faced Chris Lytle in The Ultimate Fighter 4 finale and defeated him by split-decision, thus earning a chance at a title shot in the process. Now, he takes on the toughest fight of his career in an attempt to make a true comeback when he squares off against St-Pierre on April 7th.

"I'm very excited for this fight, I can't wait to show everyone I have what it takes to be the champion," said Serra. "I want to complete my comeback and stop Georges St-Pierre - I am confident I can beat him, and will prove that at UFC 69."

UFC 69: SHOOTOUT
Saturday, April 7,, 2007


No comments: