Saturday, April 7, 2007

CAN HUERTA MAKE IT 3-FOR-3 IN THE UFC?


By Mick Hammond

Without a doubt, Roger Huerta is one of the most exciting young talents in the UFC. After injury delayed his UFC debut, Huerta came on like a Texas-sized tornado, putting on back to back impressive victories at UFC 63 and 67.

Now with momentum on his side, Roger makes his return not only to the big stage of MMA, but also his home state in a clash with fellow Texan Leonard Garcia in an exciting lightweight showdown on Saturday at UFC 69 in Houston, Texas.

Speaking to MMAWeekly from his hotel room near the Toyota Center in Houston, Huerta discussed his road to the UFC, his opponent Leonard Garcia, and where he fits into the ever-expanding 155lb division.

MMAWeekly: First off Roger, tell us how you’re feeling heading into this weekend’s UFC 69.

Roger Huerta: I feel good. I’m keeping my weight checked. I have a new trainer, Justin Hagens, who has been really good with me. [He’s] my nutritionist, my conditioning coach, my lifting coach, so he’s had my calories in check and he’s just a really good guy.

MMAWeekly: You’ve fought in Texas before, but nothing to this scale. How does it feel being a part of the UFC’s debut in your home state?

Roger Huerta: Man, it feels really, really good. Like you said, I’ve had to fight here before, but it isn’t anything like the way it’s [going to be]. I mean, this is a UFC – this is it – the Superbowl of events; especially after they bought PRIDE, this is it.

(Continue Reading)

No comments: