Friday, April 6, 2007

I GOT NOTHIN’ TO DO WITH ROY



CHARLES JAY SETS THE RECORD STRAIGHT IN “THE CASE OF THE MISSING JONES”

I would like to dispel a rumor which seems to be circulating out there; one that I absolutely don’t want to be held responsible for.

I fully understand that there is an incredible coincidence between the timing of the announcement of my new special report, “FOR WHOM DiBELLA TOLLS” and the apparent disappearance of Roy Jones Jr., the latest fighter signed by DiBella Entertainment.

Jones was supposed to emerge on Monday or Tuesday to sign a contract to fight Anthony Hanshaw on June 9. But he could not be found. He would not return attempts on the part of promoter Lou DiBella (aka Diabolical L.O.U.) to reach him on the phone, only later responding, over a text message and through an intermediary, that he was rejecting Lou’s offer.

All of that is THEIR business. I want to make at least three things perfectly clear. I have not had any conversations with Roy Jones Jr. as of yet regarding “FOR WHOM DiBELLA TOLLS.” And although we intend to be thorough and comprehensive, neither The Fight Page nor Operation Cleanup has anything in the way of a “witness protection program” set up at this time. It’s just not in the budget right now. So if Jones is a no-show, it has nothing to do with us.

Jones reportedly made a verbal agreement to fight for $500,000, then later demanded $1.5 million from DiBella. If Lou considers this a “shakedown,” it is not one that was engineered or encouraged by me. Also, I have no evidence to suggest that after the announcement of “FOR WHOM DiBELLA TOLLS” came out, Lou spent so much time trying to get me on the phone that he completely lost track of where his fighter was.

I want the people at Showtime and Gary Shaw Productions (the promoter of Hanshaw) to know that I was not a participant on this occasion, but merely an innocent bystander.

– Charles Jay

(Source)

No comments: