Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Mercer Ready for a Fight!



"They have woken up a sleeping giant! I want a fight!"

“I was ready to beat his ass!” stated Ray Mercer when informed that Hasim Rahman had withdrawn from their February 22nd showdown. “I understand that Rahman pulled out for a bigger money fight. Well, he might be making bigger money but he is avoiding the bigger punches!”

The former WBO heavyweight champion Mercer (34-6-1, 25 KOs) is on the comeback trail since a loss to Shannon Briggs in August 2005. Mercer has reunited with his strength and conditioner coach Matt Howard plus his sponsor - Bobby Farrell of First Valley Funding – has provided Mercer the prefect training camp.

“I am in better shape than I when I went to the Olympics,” stated the 1988 USA Olympic gold medalist. “I wanted this fight (with Rahman) more than any fight; he is a former champion with something to prove and I wanted to prove that he didn’t belong in the ring with me!” Despite the setback, Mercer is hopeful: “I am going to stay ready. I am going to remain positive and motivated.” Mercer warned: “They have woken up a sleeping giant! I want a fight!”

Source: www.fightnews.com

No comments: