Saturday, February 17, 2007

Ex-Gopher, WWE wrestler Lesnar coming to town



WATERLOO --- Brock Lesnar is coming back to Iowa but not for a rematch with Wes Hand.

The former University of Minnesota national champion and three-time WWE heavyweight champion will be making an appearance at the Dan Gable International Wrestling Institute and Museum Sunday from 1 to 3 p.m. as part of the facility's grand opening.

Lesnar is also planning to attend top-ranked Minnesota's dual meet at Carver-Hawkeye Arena against Iowa at 6 p.m. Sunday.

"I'm looking forward to coming down and being surrounded by a lot of amateur wrestling fans. I'm also looking forward to the match in Iowa City. I'm sure Wes is going to want a rematch."

In recent years, Lesnar has competed in the New Japan Pro Wrestling Series and signed on with K1 Hereos, a mixed-martial arts organization in June 2006.

"I've been training to get ready for a yet-to-be-determined K1 fight," said Lesnar. "We're close to naming a date. I've been down to Davenport to train in Pat Miletich's camp. A couple of his guys -- Tim Slyvia and Matt Hughes -- have big fights coming up, so I'm excited for them."

(Read More)

No comments: