Wednesday, February 7, 2007

'Face of the sport' is baddest in ring


Frank Shamrock was that kid in high school.

The kid that grew his hair long, the kid who didn't hang with the popular crowd, the kid who worked out with weights but never found any sport he liked.

"I never got in that team thing," Shamrock said. "I always wanted to win, and when people around weren't doing their best, it drove me crazy. And I never got into any individual sports that I could wrap my hands around."

Until Shamrock discovered mixed martial arts, a sport combining boxing, kickboxing, wrestling and jiu-jitsu. Twelve years later, as the face of his sport, Shamrock is one of the baddest men on the planet.

"I fell in love with the sport, because it's the only singular sport that really tests everything about you," said Shamrock, a five-time champion who lives in San Jose, Calif. "It tests your mettle, it tests a bit of your soul.

(Read More)

No comments: