Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Frank Shamrock vs Ken Shamrock is in the Pipeline



In a recent interview for CBS Sports Line entitled “Five Ounces of Pain” by By Sam Caplan, Frank Shamrock let it be known that not only would he consider fighting his adoptive older brother Ken Shamrock, he is actually working to make it happen.

Here is an excerpt from the interview:

The relationship between you and your adoptive brother, Ken, has been described as "estranged" by some. Do you feel that's a correct characterization?

Yeah, that'd be good (laughs).

How did things go south between you and Ken?

There came a time when I really felt like what we were doing and what we were training in was not the best way. It was an old idea, you know, it was old business. I voiced my concern about that and basically I was told to do what I was told. I was very vocal, and I've always been very vocal about what I believed in and I kept on it and said "Look, we've got to change, there's a better way to do business." And eventually we came down to Ken telling me, "You don't have what it takes, you're not going to be a world champion and I want you to run my gyms for the rest of your life." So that to me was, especially since he was my mentor, it was devastating to me. And I realized at that point that Ken either didn't believe in me or didn't want me to be who I thought I could be, and I had to leave. When I left, basically him and my father said "That's it, you're no longer part of the family we're never going to talk to you again, you can never train with the guys, and you no longer exist in our family." So I had to make a choice, and I chose to follow what I believed was right at the expense of that family, and it's been weird ever since.

Are things so strained between the two of you that if a promoter put enough money out there, would you fight him?
Oh yeah. Are you kidding me?

Has anyone ever tried to put that together?
Well, I'm still working on it.

Really?
(Laughs).

Have you talked to Ken about it? How does he feel?
I have not talked to Ken about it, but I've talked to some of his representatives and we got two thumbs up so I'm going to keep working on it.

Is there a specific promotion that you're trying to put this together for?
Well, I'm trying to do it independently.

No comments: