Tuesday, February 13, 2007

"LINE UP... GRACIE FOR GRACIE," SAYS SHAMROCK



Line up, let me fight you. I’ll fight each and every one of you. I’ll fight you each month if need be because if this is how it’s going to be, I don’t even need to train that hard… we can start from small to big and work my way up, Gracie for Gracie.”

Those were the words of an indignant Frank Shamrock following his disqualification at the EliteXC even, which was the debut mixed martial arts event on the Showtime Networks.

The bout with Renzo Gracie ended with Shamrock landing two illegal knees to the back of Gracie’s head and neck. Gracie was given the allotted 5 minutes to recover and continue the bout, but was unable to do so. Since the knees were illegal and considered intentional, Shamrock had been warned earlier in the bout for punches to the back of the head, referee Herb Dean disqualified Shamrock.

In this post-fight interview, Shamrock talks about the controversial ending to the bout, “I screwed up. Like I said, I thought we were fighting. If it had been me, I’d have super-glued my face back together and got in there and fought.” He also talks about the situation involving his contract dispute between him, Strikeforce, and Pro Elite, which resulted in the two promotions striking a deal to work together.

(More)

No comments: