Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Diaz Enjoying Life as KOTC World Flyweight Champion



FCF caught up with Gibson Pankration fighter Ryan Diaz last week to get his thoughts on his recent championship victory over Ed Newalu at King of the Cage “Chaos” on March 10th. Diaz submitted Newalu in the first round at 3:11 to lay claim to the KOTC World Flyweight Championship. Diaz had been scheduled to fight Manny Tapia, however the former champ relinquished his KOTC title to pursue opportunities elsewhere. Diaz says he knew that he was still in for a tough fight, despite the change in opponent.

“Yes,” Diaz tells FCF in acknowledging he expected Newalu to be a worthy adversary. “I knew he was going to take me down and was going be a tough and strong opponent. I had attempted 3 armbars and on two occasions I got slammed on my head. So after the third attempt I heard Lance Gibson yell to go for triangle. I went for it and remember squeezing so hard and thinking I’m not going to let go even if my legs cramp up and fall off!”

The win extends Diaz’s record to 13-10, and adds a second KOTC title to his collection, as the Port Moody fighter is also KOTC Canada’s Bantamweight Champion (145 lbs.)

“It’s a great feeling and makes it feel like hardwork does pay off,” says Diaz in discussing his recent title win. “Now I want to focus on exposing myself to the whole world and letting everyone know how exciting a fighter I am. Last words, I want to thank my trainer Lance Gibson for sticking by me all the years and my family, my fans, and all my friends that have stuck by me all the years. And of course my sponsors Sinister Skin Tatoo and Sacred Souls Clothing.”


No comments: