Sunday, March 11, 2007

Paul Daley Defends FX3 Title With Stunning KO

By Jim Page

READING, England, March 10 — Up-and-coming Berkshire promotion, FX3, put on an excellent night of fighting in front of a packed house of roaring fans in the Rivermead Leisure Centre.

In the main event genuine British star Paul Daley (Pictures) put his famous left hook to use as he smashed top German import Daniel Weichel in just over two minutes to retain his FX3 title.

Quick Results

Paul Daley def. Daniel Weichel by KO 2:55 R1
Nigel Whitear def. Jason Barret by Arm Bar 2:27 R1
Alex Owen def. Frederick Fernandez by Triangle 2:21 R2
Przemslaw Mysiala def. Lance King by TKO (Ref Stoppage – strikes) 2:12 R1
Andre Winner def. Wesley Felix by Split Decision (29:28, 29:28, 28:29)
Lawson Tenant def. Ben Vickers by TKO (Ref Stoppage – strikes) 2:10 R2
Azran Quasid def. Dion Oakes by TKO (Ref Stoppage – strikes) 2:52 R1
Brendan Flanagan def. Steve Baggaley by TKO (Ref Stoppage – strikes) 4:28 R1
Paul Reed def. Rob Neesham by TKO (Ref Stoppage – strikes) 0:55 R1
Jarred Farre def. Pete Brake by Tap-Out (strikes) 1:31 R1

Damien Hamilton def. John Healey by Split Decision
Pete Mercer def. Kazys Grigaliunas by Unanimous Decision

Daley put on an awesome performance, landing punches and sprawling away from Weichel's takedown attempts with ease. A heavy left hook from Daley soon put the German on the mat, prompting Daley to crank up the pace, landing another hard left hand and following up with a vicious knee to the face that put Weichel back on the floor in a very impressive knockout win.

The main supporting fight of the night was the rematch between Nigel Whitear and Jason Barrett (Pictures) that had a lot to live up to after the first intense war on the Cage Rage Contenders show. On that occasion Jason walked away with an inconclusive victory — so this time, both fighters had a point to prove going into the contest.

As the fight hit the deck, local man, Whitear set up a gruesome straight armbar with a tight overhook. Nigel turned in his guard hyper-extending the elbow, but to his credit, Barrett stubbornly refused to quit. Able to slip out of the submission for a moment, Barrett soon found himself back in the armbar, and with a horribly injured arm had no choice but to submit.

In a match-up that always promised to be a sophisticated ground battle, Alex Owen took on French jiu-jitsu specialist, Frederic Fernandez (Pictures).

The Bristol policeman unexpectedly showed some clear dominance throughout the fight, controlling the majority of the action from top position. Owen eventually snuck through to mount position, letting a few shots go before rolling to his back and sinking a triangle choke for the win.

Heavyweight action saw Lance King return to take on Przemyslaw Mysiala of Total Dojo. Although known primary for his grappling, Mysiala looked dangerous on his feet and smashed his opponent to the mat for an impressive first round knockout.

Widely predicted to be fight of the night, Andre Winner and Wes Felix did not disappoint as the two young and determined fighters clashed in a back and forth three-round war.

Felix dominated the early action with his powerful takedowns and put in a fantastic sambo-style rolling throw from front headlock. However, Winner fought back doggedly and scored with some neat "dirty boxing" and very hard knees to the face. He was rewarded for his persistence with a narrow, but well deserved split decision. He can now look forward to his clash with Ian Butlin (Pictures) on the "Enter the Roughhouse 2" card in Nottingham.

In another composed performance, Lawson Tennant defended well off his back for the first round of his fight with Ben Vickers. Eventually regaining his feet towards the end of the round, Lawson threw a series of left kicks to the body, surprising Vickers who was forced to absorb a couple of heavy shots.

Frustrated in the first round, Lawson made the most of his chances when he took mount, landing enough punishment to stop the contest after two minutes of the second round.

Azran Quasid from Team Obscene lived up to the team reputation for being a lively bunch of jokers by posing for a photograph mid-way through the fight as he dominated Dion Oakes from top position. Showing good floor control, Azran was able to land several nasty hammerfists to take the first round stoppage win.

In undercard action, Steve Baggaley put in an impressive performance, repeatedly taking Brendan Flannigan to the ground. However, Flannigan was able to reverse him, landing in mount position and punch his way to a referee stoppage.

Paul Reed of Vale Tudo Jiu-Jitsu put in a dominating performance, stopping Team Obscene's Rob Neesham with punches from the mount in less than a minute, whilst Neesham's teammate, Jared Farre, was on the happy end of a ground-and-pound stoppage, winning his bout with Pete Brake after just 91 seconds.

Adding to the MMA action on the card, in Cage Kickboxing bouts, Pete Mercer put in a good performance as he chipped away at Lithuanian import, Kazys Grigaliunas, to win a tight decision, whilst Damien Hamilton racked up the points with a stream of full power body shots, coming through some awkward moments to defeat John Healy on points.

No comments: