Friday, March 16, 2007

Q&A: Evander Holyfield!


By Byron Spurlock

Four-time world heavyweight champion Evander "Real Deal" Holyfield (40-8, 26 KOs) continues his quest to become five-time world champion in Corpus Christi, TX on Saturday as he steps into the ring against Vinny Maddalone (27-3) at the American Bank Center. Holyfield is no stranger to Texas as his last two fights have come in the Lone Star State; August 2006 – Jeremy Bates and November 2006 – Fres Oquendo. Holyfield took sometime before his fight against Vinny Maddalone to share with us his thoughts and direction of the heavyweight division.

What can you tell us about Vinny Maddalone?

I don't know that much about him. He stands 27-3 but after that I can't say much other than he is going to come into the ring trying to beat me. Sometimes the guys you don't know anything about are the worst ones because you don't know what to expect. I have to face this fight like it could be my last. If I do that I will be fine.

Evander, this will be the first fight of the year for you, what can we expect to see from you?

The ultimate goal is to be one of the heavyweight champions. I know right now that the current champions are doing well, but I still think with a shot at either of them, I can win.

Your last fight was a unanimous decision win against Fres Oquendo. Some people felt that the fight was close and could have gone either way.

Well, it was a good fight. Sometimes the press is not always on your side. I still think that I can become champion despite what some people say. People have to realize that yes, I'm 44 years old, but that is not the end. George Foreman became the heavyweight champion and he was 45 years old. I'm just one of the fighters who believes that he can once again become the world heavyweight champion again. Of course it's going to be a hard road ahead, but I'm willing to pay the price and get there. I'm going to take one fight at a time and get to the top.

Where do you feel that the heavyweight division sits today with current champions and the top contenders chasing those titles?

Well, I think its in pretty good shape. The guys who are champions want to be champions and it shows when they fight because they come out strong and want to hold on to their titles. The fighters who are losing to the champions are not just lying down, the champions are finding ways to win and that's it.

Which of the champions right now is clearly the best titlist?

I would have to with Wladmir Klitshko (48-3, 44 KOs). His last fight against Ray Austin (24-3) was impressive in that Klitshko did what he was supposed to do against a fighter that was not in the same class as him. He got rid of him in the early rounds.

Lastly, who do you wanna fight out there?

I just want to keep busy now and work my way to a title shot. I have my fight this weekend against Vinny Maddalone and we can worry about the next fight after this one.


1 comment:

doug said...

More IFL Los Angeles analysis at Zewkey
There are a bunch of good fights to bet on in this event.