Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Rutten teaches Anacondas to strike


By Miguel Lopez

For 14 years, he did it his way.

In 1993, he fought his first professional mixed martial arts fight against Ryushi Yanagisawa in the Pancrase organization in Japan and came out victorious. And the following 14 years are history - MMA history - as Bas Rutten fought and defeated the best the sport had to offer during its infancy, and in the process became an icon.

In those 33 fights and 28 wins, Rutten - who first wanted to try martial arts after watching "Enter the Dragon" - picked up not only new fighting techniques but experiences and mistakes that he now puts to use with his team the L.A. Anacondas of the International Fighting League.

"This is different than what you see with Pride and UFC," said Rutten, who hails from Holland but resides in L.A. "These are five guys training together and training for the same event and for the same organization and wear the same jersey ... there is this family bonding. The effect it has on the fighters is they perform way better because of the people they have behind them. They are able to feed off each other's ability."

The IFL will make its way Saturday to the Forum, where four teams will compete. The Anacondas will take on the San Jose Sharks and the Tokyo Sabres face the Southern California Condors.

In the IFL's initial year, the Pat Miletich-led Silverbacks defeated the Portland Wolfpack for the crown. Rutten's team fell one win short of getting to the title fight.

"I have been there many times," said the 43-year-old Rutten. "The things I have learned in Japan you can't learn anywhere else.

"Their (Japanese) technique is off the hook and I have been fortunate to have been in Japan many times and was able to stay there and train with the Japanese. I learned a lot that I was able to use, the techniques I saw to learn counters, and to make me better."

That is the discipline and experience Rutten now shares with his team.

"I can see mistakes they make real fast. I have tweaked their striking and submissions a bit and have made it more impact. I am able to make their talents a little better ... make it the Rutten way."

Rutten fought in July after being away from ring for seven years. He was impressive, defeating a younger, bigger Ruben Villareal via technical knockout at 3:24 of the first round.

Injuries thwarted the idea of a comeback.

"I am the coach ... I don't need to fight anymore," he said. "But training with my guys is good, too."

(Source)

No comments: