Monday, April 2, 2007

Bocek Looks to Team Tompkins and Fabio Holanda for Possible Next Opponent



FCF caught up with Mark Bocek after his most recent win last week at King of the Cage Canada’s “Capital City Chaos” event in Hull, Quebec, where the Ontario fighter defeated Garrett Davis in the first round with a rear naked choke. Taking on Davis in the main event, Bocek was able to end the Marcus Soares trained fighter’s 7 fight winning streak to extend his own MMA record to 4-0.

“After I got him down, I tried a little ground and pound and then I stood up,” Bocek says in recalling the fight with Davis. “He kind of kicked me away with his feet on the hips, I kind of just threw his leg by, went to his cross side, turned his knees, took his back and then I sunk in the choke. He’s a tough guy, he’s strong and he fought well.”

After watching his card’s main event, KOTC Promoter Ken Kupsch believes Bocek may be one of the Nation’s better lightweight fighters.

“Davis took this fight on less than two weeks notice after we lost Jake Short to an injury,” says Kupsch in sharing his thoughts on the fight. “Davis is a great fighter and he came to win. By watching the fight, you could tell that Davis is a very skilled fighter, but Bocek is on another level. I don't believe we have a Canadian fighter that can beat him. I expect we will see Bocek take on some of the best ranked KOTC fighters next. We're very proud of both these guys, they are fierce competitors and have determination and ability to rise to the very top.”

The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instructor has now defeated Mark Colangelo, Kevin Manderson, John Mahlow and the aforementioned Davis to begin his MMA career, and is looking to take on some of Canada’s more notable lightweights.

“Sam Stout, Mark Hominick, Fabio Holanda, Chris Horodecki,” Bocek tells FCF in listing off some opponents he would like to fight next. “I want to fight any of those guys.”

Most of Bocek’s desired opponents compete for TKO when fighting in Canada, an organization Bocek fought for in his MMA debut.That said, the Ontario fighter has enjoyed his time so far with KOTC Canada, a promotion he has fought for now twice.

“I was treated very well, as always,” Bocek tells FCF. “KOTC is a great event, I like fighting for them and I get along well with Pete Rodley. The attendance was pretty good for a Wednesday night, good energy, can’t wait to do it again.”

Up next, Bocek will head to the Abu Dhabi grappling trials in May, before heading back into grappling competition.

“I’ve got Abu Dhabi coming up in May,” says Bocek. “So that’s the focus now, but after that it’s right back to the MMA. That’s what I love to do, and that’s why I got into this sport.”


No comments: