Thursday, January 25, 2007

Rashad Evans Interview



TUF season2 champion Sugar Rashad Evans headlines his first card this Thursday on UFC Fight Night live on Spike TV. In this FightBeat exclusive the undefeated contender talks to us about his upcoming fight, his teammates’ successes, the future of the sport and much more.

FB: First off, I want congratulate on getting that first knockout in the UFC.

RE: Thank you. I knew it was just a matter of time. All my other fights, even though they didn’t have that spectacular ending, were important to getting me to that point.

FB: Your opponent this Thursday is Sean Salmon. He’s 9-1 with six victories coming by submission. Is the UFC trying to get you some experience against a grappler?

RE: I don’t know? Maybe. It doesn’t really matter what they are trying to do. If I want to be the best I got to go through everyone.

FB: How does it feel to be the main event?

RE: It’s pretty cool. I finally get to be the man. I am a little extra nervous, but it’s okay. By the time I get there, I’ll be cool.

FB: In your last fight you told me your strategy was to go in there and beat the shit out of Jason Lambert. That seemed to work pretty well. Same strategy for this fight?

RE: (laughs) Yeah, pretty much the same thing. Just go out there and get after him. If you fight too much with your mind pretty soon you find yourself just standing there and waiting for something to happen instead of just making it happen.

(Read More)

No comments: